We are excited to announce our Spring Action Month! Saturday 22 April is Earth Day, an annual celebration of the environmental movement, and exactly one month later, Monday 22 May is the International Day of Biodiversity.
Population Matters is marking this special month by encouraging our supporters to connect with us. Take a look at the actions you can take and let us know your plans!
- Spring marks the start of the season for organised sporting events. Choose your own activity and distance each day, or over a week, or take the whole month. We’d love you to share your progress with us. For instance, May is National Walking Month in the UK – will you #WalkthisMay for Population Matters?
- The Big Spring Sort Clear the clutter and raise charity funds by selling unwanted items at a car boot or yard sale, on eBay, or at trade-in sites, and donate the funds to Population Matters.
- The Big Spring Plant Take up our cherry tomato challenge! Save seeds from inside the tomatoes from your next shopping trip. Plant the seeds indoors in early spring and then move them outside as we move into summer. You will be reducing food miles, growing your own, and enjoying a sweet cherry tomato harvest later in the year! Why not raise donations for Population Matters by sowing extra seeds and selling plants to friends and neighbours?
- Take action for insects as part of our HUMANATURE initiative. Send us a photo and/or a brief explanation of what you’ve been up to. We may feature it on our website.
- Join people across the UK in #NoMowMay by saying ‘no’ to the mow during the month of May to help bees, butterflies, wildlife and us! Leave your mower in the shed and send us a photo of your lengthy lawn.
Meet our fundraisers
John is undertaking a fell walk with his daughters in May 2023. John says, “having lived most of my life feeling like a voice in the wilderness, I was delighted to join Population Matters several years ago. P.M.’s publicity, campaigning and practical support for the huge sustainability issues around family size will, I believe, help achieve not only informed decisions by prospective parents but also encourage governments to consider more support for the practicalities of family planning.”. You can support John’s fundraising here.
Dom is running the Rob Burrow Leeds (UK) Marathon for Population Matters on 14th May 2023. Dom says “I strongly believe the question of our coexistence with the natural world is not only one of sustainability but of moral duty and respect”. You can support Dom’s fundraising by clicking here.
Michael is running the Two Tunnels Marathon (Bath, UK) on 20th August 2023. He has chosen to fundraise for Population Matters to help achieve a sustainable human population to allow for a future for his grandchildren. You can support Michael by clicking here.
this Could Be You
Do you want to raise money for our campaigns? Start your own journey by creating your own personal fundraising page.
Do you enjoy a physical challenge and want to raise money for our campaigns?
If you would like to raise funds for Population Matters during our Spring Action Month, you can create your own personal fundraising page for your chosen fundraising activity on our website.
Get in Touch
Are you having a spring fair and want to spread an eco/population message? We can provide you with a selection of Population Matters supporter materials such as informative leaflets, badges, and stickers for just a small donation to cover postage. To request materials simply drop us a line by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.